This simple Concentric Molecule was designed for all those people like me, Science Geeks! I am proud to be a Chemistry Nerd and want to share it! There is another project with Angels like this one. Make sure you look at it too.
The project is 8 layers, shrinking each layer just a little and centering it. It creates a wonderful effect and is really easy. It is a perfect gift for Science Nerds like me.
You will need:
- cardstock in various shades
- cardstock for the background
- Foam Tape or Liquid Glue
- Download File
Paper Selection for Concentric Atom Wall Hanging
This project can be made with any paper. The colors for the atoms could be in the same color family or like I did it, rainbow colors. Use your imagination. Patterns would look very weird for everything but the background mat colors. I have some beakers paper but having a hard time finding it right now.
Cutting the Sign
Start with the largest layer and cut the designs upward in layer. This is a must! That way you can line them up as you go. There is a top and bottom to these atoms and if you get them twisted they don’t line up properly.
The lines are very thin. Be careful removing them from the mat. Don’t loose the center pieces.
Assembling the Concentric Atom Wall Hanging
As you cut the layers, build up from the bottom. Center the pieces to the piece below it. If the circles don’t line up properly, it probably means that the atom got turned. Just rotate it until it lines up perfectly. I tend NOT to assemble the layers right away and spent a great deal of time fixing this problem the first time I made it.
Glue each layer to the one below it before you cut the next layer. You can glue the layers together with liquid glue or foam tape. Foam tape adds more dimension to the project, but it is up to you. I used foam tape.
Once the layers are all together, glue the whole thing to a piece that goes with your color scheme. You can then put the Concentric Atom in a frame. If you used foam tape you will need a shadowbox frame since 8 layers of foam tape and paper are thicker that a regular frame can hold.
And your Concentric Atom Wall Hanging is done.
Chemistry Fun Facts
- Unlike many substances, water expands as it freezes. An ice cube takes up about 9% more volume than the water used to make it
- The chemical name for water (H2O) is dihydrogen monoxide. Don’t fall for the jokes about dihydrogen monoxide killing people.
- Hydrofluoric acid is so corrosive that it will dissolve glass. Although it is corrosive, hydrofluoric acid is considered to be a weak acid. And you can buy it at Walmart!
- One bucket full of water contains more atoms than there are buckets of water in the Atlantic ocean.
- Sometimes, hot water freezes more quickly than cold water.