Santa was really good to me this year! He brought me all kinds of neat stuff. Some of them I think every crafter should have.
The big thing wasn’t really a Christmas present. It was a birthday present from Ken that arrived a couple days after he passed. It took me a while to open it and even longer to use it.
I hate to admit I am getting old but I just can’t crank my Cuttlebug anymore. I wanted a Gemini by Crafter’s Companion soooo bad.
I almost bought myself the Gemini Junior every HSN Craft Day. But Ken convinced me that I should wait until I could afford the big one. I am glad I did!
The plate size is 12 X 9 and it is a workhorse. In about 20 seconds it cuts what would take the cricut 20 minutes to cut out with the Cricut! And the larger plate size means that I can cut several pieces at once or take advantage of the bigger dies out there. (Santa did bring a couple of those) I have many dies of various brands from when I had a Cricut expression using my Cuttlebug and they all work in the Gemini.
Here is a list with the advantages and disadvantages of a Gemini vs. a Cricut.
- So much faster than Cricut
- Embosses like Cricut never really will.
- Cuts much thinner lines
- Will cut multiple layers at once
- Cuts fabric much easier that the Cricut.
- Much easier to use scraps of cardstock
- It cuts through aluminum cans
- The dies are not cheap
- You cannot change the size of the dies.
- You cannot make things bigger than the plates and the material must fit through the machine.
- The image cannot be edited. It is what it is. And you can’t create your own images.
- The machine costs as much as an Air 2 machine. And the foiling equipment is just as expensive and takes special dies.
- The maker cuts through many more material
All things considered , the Gemini is a nice addition to the Cricut. And if I could have only one it would be the Cricut. But I can afford both and the embossing capability makes it worth it. Have you seen some of the 3D embossing folders out there? They are gorgeous. So see Santa WAS good to me this year!
Here are some examples of what you can do with the Gemini(Click on the square in the corner to see full size):
I am an associate with Amazon so I earn a small amount when you click or purchase on the link. This does not add to your price.